Sustainable, Inclusive & Thriving Communities
“We define sustainability as simultaneous improvements in human and environmental wellbeing.” – UBC Strategic Plan, Shaping UBC’s Next Century (p. 39)
The 2019 Winter Institute will be hosted on December 10-12.
We invite proposals that highlight efforts in cultivating a diverse community that sustains connected, equitable, and inclusive communities of learning. The Winter Institute serves as a platform for members of the teaching and learning community to create and optimize learning environments for all – faculty, staff, and students alike!
- Primary Contact information (Name, Department, Role, Email Address)
- Name and Role of Co-facilitators
- Session Title & Description
- Connection to Educational Research and Pedagogical Knowledge
- Session Format Selection
- Audiovisual Requirements
- Interactive Workshop (75 minutes) — offers Institute attendees the chance to consider their impact on student learning, to reflect on their teaching practices, and to explore new ways to create sustainable, inclusive, and thriving learning communities.
- Panel Presentation & Discussion (75 minutes) — provides a forum of public exchange of ideas, giving experts and Institute attendees the chance to discuss a particular teaching and learning topic collaboratively.
- Round Table Symposium Discussion (75 minutes) — three short discussions on related topics (15 minutes) requiring moderators to set the context and provide ideas/information to shape and enrich the dialogue, followed by a facilitated discussion at the end.
Please submit your proposal by noon on Friday, Sept. 13, 2019.
We will host a Facilitation Development Workshop on Thursday, Oct. 31 from 2:30-4:00 p.m. for Institute Facilitators who wish to build their facilitation skills and to connect with their fellow facilitators.