Fundamentals in Teaching & Learning
The 2019 Summer Institute will be hosted on August 19-23, 27-29 and September 4-6.
We invite proposals that will support new instructors and teaching assistants in preparing for and teaching their upcoming classes. The Summer Institute is a great opportunity to connect with new colleagues, share your experiences in navigating teaching and learning at UBC, and to build our collective capacity to enhance student learning and experiences.
In addition to the fundamentals (e.g., Navigating Your Role as an Instructor, Writing Effective Learning Objectives, Effective Lesson Planning, Assessment Strategies, and Writing a Learner-Centered Syllabus) that will be offered as part of the Summer Institute, we are looking for proposals that directly develop the capacity of new instructors and teaching assistants within the UBC context.
- The description clearly defines the session’s learning outcome(s).
- Session topic can be effectively applied to different teaching environments (e.g., class format, class size, disciplinary considerations. etc.).
- Session description details how activities will encourage participants to consider different perspectives and approaches in teaching and learning.
- Session description details how activities will practically supports participants in applying their knowledge in their own teaching contexts.
- Primary Contact Information (Name, Department, Role, Email Address)
- Name and Role of Co-facilitators
- Session Title and Description
- Connection to Educational Research and Pedagogical Knowledge
- Session Format Selection
- Audiovisual Requirements
- Interactive Workshop (120 minutes) — equips Institute attendees with foundational, pedagogically sound, and practical techniques to integrate into their developing teaching practices in support of student learning and experiences.
- Panel Presentation & Discussion (90 minutes) — provides a forum of public exchange of ideas, giving experts and Institute attendees the chance to discuss a particular teaching and learning topic collaboratively.
- Round Table Symposium Discussion (90 minutes) — three short discussions on related topics (20 minutes) requiring moderators to set the context and provide ideas/information to shape and enrich the dialogue, followed by a facilitated discussion at the end.
Please submit your proposal by noon on Friday, June 14, 2019.
We will be hosting an Institute Facilitator Community Workshop on Thursday, July 25 from 1-2:30 p.m. for Institute Facilitators who wish to build their facilitation skills and to connect with their fellow facilitators.